Thursday, December 30, 2010

Decide. Commit. Succeed.



"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." -Proverbs 16:3

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." 
-Colossians 3:23


 Do you think those are cheesy ways to begin a list of I-want-tos for a new year? Me too, actually. I bet blogs all across the land are speaking these very verses over themselves in the name of growing and following and becoming better. Well, me too, then. I'll speak it over myself.

I want to be better. A better servant, a better listener, a better cook,a better daughter, a better hugger, a better leader, a better talker, a better confronter, a better example, a better friend, a better lover, a better yogini, a better dancer, a better go-getter, a better sister, a better laugher, a better companion.

I want to be more. I want to be more obedient, faithful, loving, grace-filled, forgiving, compassionate, easy-going, understanding, accepting. 


I want to add er to all that I am: Kinder, gentler, freer, funnier, stronger.

And I want to do things I've never done. Because if I've learned anything this year, it's that I can do things I've never done. I may learn to love it, I may give it up; it matters not. The point is, I can always use new hobbies.  
Things to Accomplish in 2011 
(Think of these like Jack Sparrow would: as guidelines, not set rules)
  •  Have a 15 minute morning devotion before I get out of bed
  • Learn to knit
  • Own a pair of great boots
  • Run a 5k
  • Read my textbooks
  • Get a summer job
  • Cook five new recipes
  • Read 12 books
  • Try two new vegetables
  • Eat an apple a day
  • Talk on the phone more (instead of text messaging)
  • Discover new music
  • Go out of my way to perform acts of service
  • Make homemade lemonade
  • Talk to my mother everyday five times a week, just because I can
  • Have intentional conversation. Lots of it.
  • Have some lots of spontaneity 
  • Travel somewhere above Kentucky

If I don't complete all those bulleted things, I'm telling you right now, I'm okay with that, because that's just what they are: items on a list, things that don't matter unless I choose to give them life. But the other stuff- it matters, either way. It matters because I am a servant, a follower, of Jesus Christ. It matters because I am a leader, because people watch me. It matters because I am about to be given 365 opportunities to make decisions and to wake up and put my hands in the Lord's. Some days I'll succeed, some days I won't, but if I don't grow at all? Well, then 2011 will be a waste of more hours than I care to calculate. If I don't further the kingdom in the next 12 months, then I'm just taking up air, not fulfilling my purpose. The incredible thing is that my purpose isn't yours, and only I can do it. My place is me-shaped, and I was meant for it. And if I do all of that and come out with a few homemade scarves and a glass of lemonade, well, then, I couldn't really ask for more.    
                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment