Tuesday, April 6, 2010

the five best spots at the greatest place on Earth.

Because in twenty years, I may have forgotten. And of course, these are my personal favorites. You don't have to agree with me! Bet you will, though.



5. Nott Hall- This place- the Honors College building- brings back memories every single time I enter it. It's the spot where I came, over a year ago, in my black pencil skirt, to interview for the Coca-Cola scholarship. It took us three hours to find it, and I'll never, ever forget walking up those stairs and going into the bathroom to adjust my slip. Now, I feel like part of a community of really smart people when I hang out in here. Plus, they offer cookies in the lounge.

4. Reese Phifer Hall- This is the Communications building, so of course it has a special place in my heart, but honestly, I think it is one of the prettiest buildings on campus. It is really stunning on the inside, too- really elegant and regal. I've had class in here all year and I love it!


3. The Ferg Promenade- I really can't explain why I love this part of campus so very much, but every time I walk down those steps, I get a happy feeling of belonging.It has a lot to do with the fountain in the middle of all of that activity, or the tulips that greet students as they climb the steps, or the ivy-covered columns...but my favorite part of this part is the engraved stone, amid hundreds of "Roll Tide Class of 86" and "Janice Smith Class of 56," there is one that says "To my favorite friend: I love you crazy."


2. The Quad- Well, duh. It is gorgeous, hands down. There a particular tree that is currently blooming white flowers, and I think it's my favorite one, but honestly, there isn't a part of the quad I don't like (even the mud puddles are a-ok with me). There is nothing better than sitting out in the sunshine (or under a tree) on a warm (or cool) day. If you don't believe me, I dare you to come try and tell me you're not a believer. The more you hang out out there, the happier you become. Trust me.


1. Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library- As if I haven't said it enough, I'll say it again: I love the library. There are six libraries on campus, but this one stands on the edge of the quad. I have spent hours upon hours getting lost in this place, taking advantages of the quiet and the literature and the wifi. I know the nooks and the crannies, the secret spots to hide when you really need to study, the best flavor of coffee, and when you can get a study room.

There you go! The next time you stop in Tuscaloosa and find yourself wandering around this place, visit these places. I promise they'll make you fall in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment