Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fitting In

I hate when people say that they don't fit in and then just succumb to that. They become outcasts- that's right, become- because they think they have to. You don't have to, and you don't necessarily have to change a whole lot to "fit in," either. You're not born an outcast. You just have to realize that although it may be wrong, if you make yourself weirder, people are going to see you as, well, weird. Do people want to hang out with a weird person? No. That's the facts. So you don't have any friends, and you whine about how you don't fit in and nobody likes you, but sorry- it's your fault.

Everybody sheds such bad light on "fitting in" like it's the worst thing, but secretly, everyone wants to do it. It's like plastic surgery. You say you don't care about it and would never do it (and your perky boobs are simply because you were born that way), but you secretly envy those who have botox, don't you? Everyone wants to fit in; it's human nature. So stop acting like it's a bad thing to want to be accepted. It's not.

I want to fit in. But the thing is, I don't want to fit in just anywhere. And I don't want to fit into a cookie cutter mold of who I should be. I want to fit in exactly where I belong, where my edges are a little jagged and crooked and quirky, because I am. I have a ridiculously odd laugh, and sometimes I talk way too much and too loud and say all the wrong things. Sometimes Dolly Parton calls my forehead and asks for her boob back, and sometimes my hair is not totally straight or not totally curly and it really doesn't know what's going on. The thing is, my friends love me the way I am- sometimes they tell me to shut up because I'm annoying, and sometimes my best friend tells me to put my hair into a ponytail or actually that she got Dolly's message. But I found my group where I fit in. If you're willing to look, to put yourself out there, to be normal enough at first, because human nature looks for that, then everyone can find theirs.

And to those of you who say you can't- you're wrong. And you're settling.

1 comment: