Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hump Day

I'd like to start by telling you that vacuuming mattresses in a dirty garage is not nearly as easy-or fun- as it seems. I mean, c'mon, I know you are all volunteering left and right to vacuum those suckers that your grandma has in her carport, but, hear me: DON'T DO IT. See, Hailee got new furniture this week (which is really exciting for both of us, because it means I have a bed to sleep on in my apartment. As pretty as that carpet was, I wasn't too hyped about snuggling with it every night.) And because she's nearing the years in her life when independent things are expected of her, it was her task to clean out all of her old furniture (and under the bed- Hailee is a little bit packratish) and vacuuming my queen-size mattresses that have been stored in the garage since I left for college. Being the compassionate, kind big sister that I am, I tried to contribute some sort of help and direction a few times. Because, you know, I've done that so much- clearly I'm a seasoned expert. Especially when it comes to vacuuming mattresses. With a Rainbow! That's right, Lori left the two of us in charge of handling a $1,500 vacuum. I suppose that insinuates some big, new level of trust, but whatever. It was ridiculous.  Dust was flying and mattresses were falling and water was spewing quite unlike it whirls when Lori is vacuuming and FINALLY, finally we carried the mattresses inside and Lysoled them and prayed that all the spiders were gone. And if they weren't, well, um, Hailee's the one sleeping on them, right? She'll be fine.

Those sort of experiences dominated yesterday, what with Hailee's new furniture, but the last few days have also been really relaxing. There's been a lot of early-morning TV watching and coffee sipping. There's been quite a bit of working out (!). Theres been enough Twilight viewing to last me at least a week. And all that's great because today marks the last day of a semblance of calm before the next whirlwind of a two weeks: Tonight, we're driving to Orlando. On Sunday, we're driving home. Also, on Sunday, I head back up to the ATL after a week and a half away from my kiddos. Wednesday night, I drive home- and also to the beach with Gracie and Janie. We return on Sunday, after which I drive to Alaska.

Just kidding! I drive back to GA. But I am certain that if you combine all that driving, I could most definitely make it to Alaska and halfway to San Francisco, too. Luckily for me (and everyone else, too, I suppose), I don't get carsick and I really, really like all the people I'm spending all that time with. You know, most of the time. Look, it's them:

Nobody would turn down eight hours in confinement with them, would they? I mean, YOU wouldn't, right? That's what I thought.

So, here's to the calm before the storm (of driving). And here's to making memories with them up there and these girls, too (because, I don't know, I haven't shown you EVERY picture we've ever taken together, okay?):

                            
Oh, c'mon. You can't NOT be jealous. Am I right? I knew I was. Anyway, after these next two weeks, there will be two more before The Move-In Day, another week of work after that, and then a few miscellaneous days before I start sleeping two hours away, making brownies in my own kitchen, and cramming my head full of really important things that have to do with Biology and French. I mean, is it going fast for you, too, or is it just me? I swear, I'd like an order of SLOW THE HECK DOWN, TIME with a side of MY SOPHOMORE YEAR BETTER NOT FLY, DANG IT. I'll pay extra for express shipping. 

Hey, YOU have a great two weeks, too! Try to soak up some of your time that's not spent commuting. Do us all a favor and hire a professional to vacuum those mattresses.Although I have to say, my neighbors might feel differently about the whole experience: They popped popcorn and settled in by the window for a hilarious show. Whatev, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment